'99 Maxima

I am thinking about purchasing a '99 MAXIMA with 5 speed with 47000 miles from a dealer. He's asking $14450.

Kelly blue book says it's worth $12150. I'd like to know if this is a good car. Are there any problems with this type of car?

I haven't bought a used car since '85.

What do you think about getting an extended warranty.

Thanks,

Reply to
Tommy

That is a little steep, especially considering its a 5-speed (which I prefer

10:1 over a auto, but pricewise, they're cheaper). What is the service record so far? Probably the most important thing.

The 4th gen Maxima (95-99) are reliable cars, so nothing in particular stands out as problematic. The only thing I can think of is a leaky tranny problem with the 5-speed that affects quite a bit of the manaul Maxima's out there.

Sign up and do a search there. You'll find all you need (including people who asked simular questions as you when they were looking to buy a Maxima).

Anyway, its rare to find a Maxima 5-speed with low miles, so do your best to have him bring the price down a grand or even two. If you can, jump on it...

Nick

Reply to
Nick

Tommy, What model? As a reference for you I just paid $14,000 for a '99 SE Limited with 60K miles. Automatic, with every option that was offered (ABS, Traction Control, heated seats, etc). Sounds a little high I know, but I really love this car. After all, that DOES matter even when your shopping used. After awhile you get tired of driving all over the place finding the ideal car AND at a great price! (I plan to keep it for a long time also). So if you really love the car, a few hundred dollars should not stand in your way.

Dealer really held on to that asking 14K price (after all, they are the experts at this, and we only go through the process every few years). What I WAS able to do was get them to do some service work on the car (replace spark plugs, brake pads and rotors). They didn't push back too much on that, after all its cheaper for them, they get the parts at cost and plug/brake work goes fast. Another factor for you to consider, this was a Nissan dealer, and I made sure that car was sold as 'Nissan Certified' (7 year/100K mile warrantee on the drivetrain mechanicals). I would expect this is 'worth' $500 or so in my car's case. Good luck, Bob

Reply to
Bob

Where are you at in the US ? (I'm assuming this from your email address)

I live in Michigan and looked everywhere this past summer for a used 97-99 Max. Dealers here from Lansing to Detroit usually charged well over the prices I saw from a few in Chicago...as far as I could tell it was just supply and demand with all the Big 3 supporters here. Decent, low-mileage imports are hard to come by in this state, or at least a selection.

I finally gave up and got a 97 GLE from a wholesaler in Oklahoma. Not the best price (better than much of what I found in the midwest), but with low miles and the options it had I couldnt pass.

As for the 5 speed, not a bad price but the dealer should include a good warranty for that amount.

Reply to
dave a

I own a 1999 GXE. It is reliable car. No problem so far except the defective ignition coil that happened to all Maxima from 95-00. The bad thing that Nissan did not recall for these part. Beware that you have to change new coils eventually. You may ask for the maintenance record to find out whether the previous owner has replaced the coil(s). However, you can do it yourself to save over couple hundred dollars if you have a screwdriver and long deep socket wrench.

Reply to
Dallas Cowboy