Mass air flow sensor

Any one had problems with this sensor on a 2000 Maxima?

Reply to
Frank

The Z - site has the symptoms for a faulty air flow sensor at

hope that helps.

regards bob

Reply to
gen1

Seems to be a not uncommon problem. Check the 5th gen forum of maxima.org

Reply to
Steve Manifold

Mine just went out (or so Im told). $733 to get it fixed!

Reply to
Eric Wellnitz

Run away from that dealer! You can buy the actual OEM sensor and install it yourself in under 5 minutes. You can purchase the sensor on-line from several Nissan dealerships for around $85. Check the 5th Gen parts thread at forums.maxima.org for a list of Nissan parts departments with great on-line prices.

Reply to
Dan

My 2k Max makes a rattling,pinging, upon accelaration. I was told my MAFS needs changing. This stared about 52k. I now have 73k and its more consistant. I thought mayb the noise was coming from the timing chain compartmnet. The dealer wants me to do a dianostic. Any suggestion.

Thanx

Reply to
Muny

Ignore the noise and keep using 87 octane fuel..

Reply to
Steve T

Reply to
Jon Smith

From what I've read, MAF failures result in a no-start / no-run condition. Also, instead of replacing a $500 MAF, supposedly you can typically replace just a $50 part within the MAF (sensor?). Also, many have reported that just cleaning the MAF (very carefully) has renewed the performance of their cars. I will defer once again to

for details. Beware though, a lot of the posters are

19 year old kids driving daddy's car.

If you are somewhat technical, you might try getting one of the $100-150 OBD-II program/cable combos for your laptop/palm/etc. This will let you read codes and do diagnostics, but it won't necessarily spell it out for you. You'd probably need a reference, such as the factory service manual to compare readings with. Let me know if you want some links.

pv

"Muny" wrote:

Reply to
Pat

There was a problem with the ignition coils on this car. It caused the same symptom. Nissan was reluctantly replacing them.

Reply to
G&B Bonnin

I have always used premium gas when this problem started. Recently switched to regular plus.

Thanx

Reply to
Muny