New to the group and have a question!!!

I am the new owner of a 91 Nissan Maxima DSC with 185K on the clock and have a couple of questions since I cannot find a good repair manual for it yet. It's a v-6 5spd manual.

Question 1. What type of engine oil and trans fluid does this car take? I have the owners manual or at least some type of manual that references the vehicle, but it's fairly useless and gives no vehicle specs at all. I was going to put 10w-40 or something close in both. I need something for high altitude climate with snowy winters!

Question 2. Also, I am assuming the transmission has some sort of drain bolt/check bolt setup for changing the fluid?

Question 3. What is the capacity of the engine/trans oil assuming engine oil filter is changed?

Question 4. The half shafts are toast to say the least. There is no clicking around corners, but there is definite popping over bumps and a lot of vibration and road feel in the wheel. I looked at the CV boots and the 2 on the drivers side are completely split and one by the wheel on the passengers side. I think my best option is to replace them since I cannot even find any evidence of grease anywhere around the joints and assume that they have been broken for quite some time. Is this a DIYer job? I am fairly confident in minor vehicle repair, but have never tacked half shafts! (engine transplants in older vehicles, rear end swaps, basic brakes and tune up type stuff)

TIA.

Derek

Reply to
derek