Re: loss of power when warm 1991 nissan maxima

I have a 1991 nissan maxima 6 cylinder. Great running car just today it started to act up. when cold and ideling its seems to be fine when you rev it up. As soon as it warms up and you rev it is starts to breaks up small backfire, etc. When you put it in gear it runs fine then all of a sudden it loses power then it will go back to normal. It seems to do this when it is warm and under a load. I replaced the fuel filter, the plug wires and distributor cap. I have not chnaged the fuel pump, rotor, or sparkplugs yet. Is this a fuel problem, or emissions problem? Any help would be appreciated.

Reply to
gweedo

I have the identical problem with a 1999 Maxima. Drives ok on highway, but in city driving or pulling hills, drives you crazy with the missing, rough running and loss of power. New plugs, etc. did not help. When I had it in for service, was told (and shown) sludge had formed in the oil system, obstructing oil channels. It was cleaned up, ran ok for a while. Now doing it again. I was told to use an oil for older cars, one with higher detergent content. Have not tried it yet, but car is getting worse, time to do something or take it to another mechanic who knows what's wrong.

My personal theory. Valve guides are sludged up. Does not stick when cold, but on warming up, valves stick in guides, not closing properly.

Do they still make Bardahl?

My next stop will be the auto parts store for some free advice, oil or fuel additives. If cheap solutions do not help, next stop after that, another mechanic.

If you have found out anything since your least posting please let me know.

Reply to
adpmaxima