Rear bumper repair?

I'm considering buying a used black 96 Maxima SE. The rear bumper has been impacted somewhere along the way, pretty much in the center, leaving little cracks spiraling out from the point of impact. It must have been minor, because there is no other evidence of damage.

Can the "skin" on the bumper be replaced easily? Is there any way for the home mechanic to repair it, or at least minimize the visual effect of its having been hit?

Thanks, Craig

[to reply directly, change the VERB to a NUMERAL]
Reply to
Craig Williams

Try one of those color waxes? Turtle Wax makes them I think. Good luck. Bob

95 SE Auto 89 SE Auto traded
Reply to
BeeP

Bumper covers aren't that expensive. I'm guessing $200 or so with another $150 for paint. You should be able to install it yourself.

CW

Reply to
CWu

I used to think that too. I'm currently on my second rear end, and third front end. Now it isn't worth the hassle factor.

It takes such a microscopic amount of energy to distort the rear bumper mechanicals, now that they are 2 1/2 mph bumpers, that there is no real difference in protection when you get slammed hard later. In my opinion.

JM

Reply to
JM