Rear Wheel Hub Bearing?

I have diagnosed a failed rear wheel hub bearing by hearing a noise that increase with frequency as the car speeds up (97 Maxima SE, 118K Miles). The tire was swapped to insure it wasn't associated with that. I am finding that the only place to obtain another bearing is at the Dealer. Has any one had experience obtaining a bearing. Replace appears streight forward per my manual. Any words of wisdom???

John C.

Reply to
Jcalard

I've done it. The bearing and hub come as one unit. It's about $60-80 if I remember correctly. It's pretty straitforward, I've done it on my Max once, and on my sister's 97 Acura TL twice. The only problem on the TL was that the inner race of the bearing got stuck on the shaft, and I had to cut it with Dremel to get it off.

Get a new nut and a cotter pin, if you can. You will need a 22mm socket, I think. Something to pry off the dust cap (I used an old screwdriver). Also, when you tap it back on, don't hit it on the top - you will bend it. Use a large socket instead, and tap it with a rubber mallet. I'd put some grease on the shaft, but that's optional - what's the chance you will have to do it again?

Reply to
Filipp Stepanov