Front wheel bearing/hub removal (Cavalier)

('99 Cavalier.) Failed NYS inspection, for a bad FWB.

I've removed the spindle nut, freed the axle from the hub, and removed the 3 hub flange bolts (T55, BTW). The Chevy book says "remove the hub and bearing assembly." It doesn't seem to be coming quite that easily. It looks like it's kind of rusted in.

I've tried prying it, but there's not a lot to get a bite on. Anyway, for as much force as I've been able to apply, nada. Same with tapping on it in various places. I haven't tried heat yet. I can keep going like this; but, if someone knows the 'right' way, or there's something I'm doing wrong, I'd appreciate hearing it.

Note: I was told by seemingly informed ppl that I don't need to remove the axle. So, I haven't, as yet. It doesn't look like that's the problem of the moment.

Thanks, George

Reply to
George

I have a sacrificial bolt I use to put in the back side about half way. I then cut the steering so I can hit the bolt 'HARD' with a BFH, (big @#% hammer) then I move the bolt to the bottom and wallop it, then cut the steering the other way and hit it 'HARD' again.

This can/will bend or muck up the bolt head, but it does push out the hub.

Some good penetrating oil on the flange will do it wonders too.

Mike

Mike Romain

That's the force it seems like it would take. But, on the Cav, the flange bolts go in from the front, and the threads are in the knuckle. So, I think I'd just be beating on the knuckle, and not putting any hurt on the hub.

Or maybe I'm just not picturing what you're saying?

George

Reply to
George

george-just had to remove a hub and bearing assby on a 2000 chev impala tonight and I too live in NY-central NY-salt city! I'd grab a good size sledge(or equiv.)and strategically hit the hub around the outer edge(just outside lug nut studs) hammering outward(as opposed to straight down or up). After a few(5 to possibly 10)good whacks she should come free-use judgement on force and strategy on where you hit. It seems like the salt in our area really 'welds' the hub and bearing to the inner spindle. Good luck.jp

George wrote:

Reply to
jerry

Thank you. I never know how hard it's OK to whack stuff. I did that, and then used a small chisel under the flange; and, it's off.

Seeing as you just did this - the new assembly I got came with an oil seal, which apparently goes on the inboard side of the knuckle. That would mean taking the drive shaft out, which I'd as soon avoid. The hub I took out didn't have a seal, AFAICT. Not that it would prove anything, but, did you put the seal in?

Thanks again, George

Reply to
George

Last one I got off, I put the rim/tire back onto the lugs after unbolting everything else then just tugged and wiggled on the tire 'till she popped free.

This was quite easy, especially after a good while of unsuccessfully whacking, heating and swearing.

Reply to
TomO

Yeah, I forgot about the swearing part. When I'm having trouble, I go straight to my 'power words'. I guess it must help.

George

Reply to
George