Repairs for diagnostic code P0420

The check engine light in our 2001 Nissan Maxima came on and the code is P0420 (Three Way Catalyst Function). I took it to the dealer and they said that the ECU is up to date (so no reprogram is necessary) and that the upstream O2 Sensor and the front exhaust tube need to be changed. They said that it would be $1400 to have it done (which seems like a lot). I'm fine with changing the O2 Sensor myself, but do I really need to have the tube changed too? If so, is it something I could do myself and how much should I expect to pay for the part? Thanks, Dave

Reply to
davejohansen

Hey, Dave,

I had the same problem, and I was told that once I replace the sensor and check that there are no obstructions in the exhaust tube -- if it's the front and something did get in there, you have bigger problems -

- all should be good. I changed the sensor myself, saved a wad o' cash, and i am even getting better gas mileage.

Good luck, Z

Reply to
AZF

How do I check if there's something in the exhaust tube? Can I just take it off and look in it? Or is there a better way? Thanks, Dave

Reply to
davejohansen

I took mine off...it wasn't that difficult, but it's not something I'd want to do on a cold windy day . Chances are there's nothing in there...it would be awful hard for something to get stuck in there, I think,

Reply to
AZF

k,- Hide quoted text -

I also had the same Diag. code come up on my 2001 Maxima 0420. Of course dealer wanted to replace front pre-cat tube and both front sensors for a whopping $2400 total bill with labor.

1 can of electrical contact cleaner took care of the problem if you can beleive this one. I am still planning on changing the O2 sensors up front just to safe. I had to get the car through vechile inspection and the cleaner worked.

John

Reply to
Toolz

ink,- Hide quoted text -

What did you do with the can of contact cleaner to fix the problem? Dave

Reply to
davejohansen

think,- Hide quoted text -

Dave, You clean the plug in fittings on the end of your O2 sensor. Look to see that there is a tight fit and that there is no corrosion interfering with the contact. If so you need to get that cleaned out or fitting tight.

John

Reply to
Toolz