Replace resonator and muffler

Hi;

I need to replace my resonator and muffler on my 99 Maxima, I had it evaluated at a local Mr Muffler (figured it'd be cheaper then a dealer) and they quoted me $620 (CDN) for the job, this includes tax and labour. Does this seem high to you guys?

Should I shop around more, even consider the dealer? I'm thinking of calling a local Sears/Canadian Tire to see what they would quote, but I had a bad experience with Sears auto before, so would rather avoid them unless it's extraordinarily less expensive.

If the car was new, I'd consider bringing it to the dealer, but at this point I'm just hopping for about another 2 years from it tops before I replace it.

Reply to
Minh.Doan.7

You will get a lot more than 2 more years out of your 99 Maxima, assuming you've been following the routine recommended maintenance (oil changes, etc). That being said, you can buy a much better quality (than what you are going to get at your local muffler store) b-pipe (which contains the resonator) and muffler from any one of the many online parts houses. Check out Cattman, Stillen, Budget Exhausts, etc. They all make catback exhaust systems for your car and will cost you less than what you have been quoted. Installation (by any muffler shop) should be a breeze, since the entire exhaust system is bolt-on.

Cheers, Nirav

96 Max GLE, 125k
Reply to
njmodi

Why? It's stainless steel. It should last longer than this. I'll bet they are quaoting you a non stainless one that will rust out in 1-2 years.

Reply to
JimV

Most muffler shops (chains) use aluminized components - that invariably rust after 2 winters. I would imagine that his quote is for similar materials.

I have friends here in the snow belt that get a new muffler every year

- they go to the local Midas, get a tin-can welded on, it gets them through the winter... and then gets replaced before the next one. They think they are getting a great deal because of the lifetime warranty on the muffler and don't mind spending 50 bucks each year to have a new POS muffler welded on...

Nirav

Reply to
njmodi