Do I Need A Resonator?

I went to get a smog test on my '91 and low and behold the exhaust pipe had come apart just past the muffler and where it connects to what I think is called the resonator. Well, the resonator does not appear to be a muffler and the tailpipe just goes straight through it so my question is: do I even need it? Can I just run the tailpipe directly from the muffler? What does the resonator do anyway?

Thanks.

Reply to
Ulysses

On my '92 the resonator is (was) back by the right rear tire just a little ways from the tailpipe. About a year ago the welds holding it in place cracked and I had it removed and a new piece of pipe welded in. As far as what it does I always thought it had something to do with creating some addtional back pressure, but I'm not really sure.

I also haven't had to have it smog tested since I removed it, did your Explorer flunk because it was missing?

Reply to
NickD

No you don't need one.... it can be replaced with straight pipe. It's only purpose in life is to add "resonance" to the exhaust tone, making it more pleasant (read that as "manly") to hear....

Reply to
Jim Warman

No, it didn't flunk; they just could not test it because the rear tailpipe section was seperated from the muffler so they couldn't get a reading. On MY '92 the resonator became loose from the tailpipe and I just jammed it in place and it passed the California smog test :-)

As for the back pressure from what I saw it's just a steel can surrounding the tailpipe. When I removed it the tailpipe looked how I would expect any other tailpipe to look. I don't see how it could affect back pressure and there is no additional exhaust noise that I can notice with the entire tailpipe section removed from the muffler back.

Now my dilemma is if I go and get a new one and pay to have it welded on and then fail the smog test (just squeezed by last time on the HC) and then need to get new cayalytic converters and possibly a new muffler will I just be wasting money now. On top of that there apparently is a federal regulation saying that you can't replace a catalytic converter unless it has failed. Sounds like I'm damned if I do and damned if I don't. In any case I don't mind too much getting a whole new exhaust system 'cause I really like this truck and it only has 205K miles on it so it's barely middle-aged for an Explorer. But I'd prefer to spend as little money as possible.

Reply to
Ulysses

Thanks. I just got back from the muffler shop and they put on a straight pipe (after I asked them the same question) and could barely comprehend that I wanted (got a new muffler too) my car to be *quieter*, not *louder*.

Reply to
Ulysses

Verry good Jim, I like that reply, and true.

R> No you don't need one.... it can be replaced with straight pipe. It's only

Reply to
Ron B