Rough starting Max. during cold weather

My 97 Maxima is having a hard time turning over during cold mornings. It also makes a strange noise and the tach goes from ~1500 RPMs to zero and then jumps back up to normal, around 700 - 1000 RPMS. This condition only happens when the mornings are cool to cold. After the car has been running or when the outside temp. rises the Max. starts and runs without any issues.

Any thoughts??

TIA, Paul

Reply to
paulf

Coolant Temperature Sensor is one possibility. Easy $25 fix, probably worth doing regardless if the car has >100k.

Dave

Reply to
David Geesaman

That, and give your throttle body a good cleaning.

CD

Reply to
Codifus

Thanks for the responses.....Could someone please point me to the coolant temp. sensor on a 97 Maxima? I think this will be replaced this weekend along with the O2 sensors.

Paul

Reply to
paulf

Offhand, I recall it being on the driver's side of the main plenum, under a couple of hoses and tapped into the top of the main radiator pipe. It points downward. Just aft of the sensor a big radiator hose leads to the engine. I needed to remove a few vacuum hoses above it to change it, but it didn't take long. Just do it on a cold engine since you're opening into a coolant passage, but there is no need to drain it the system. I think I took a photo of it, I will post it on maxima.org and point you there if I can find the pic.

Dave

Reply to
David Geesaman