The Party's Over - Post Timing Belt Blues

Just replaced the timing belt in my 1993 Maxima SOHC V6. This is an INTERFERENCE engine.

I know for a fact that the belt was on wrong at one point. I turned it by hand, and then with the starter. I can't tell in either case that the valves were hitting anything.

I have since learned enough timing belt karate to get the bloody thing on with all reference marks where they seem like they should be.

NO COMPRESSION on any of the three cylinders I checked, with a gauge. Before this, the cylinders would just about blow the hanging spark plug wire out of its respective hole on the compression stroke.

Did I bend the valves by cranking it over with the starter, after manually cranking it?

Thanks for looking!

-Joe

Reply to
negiti

Yep they sure are.

They probably did...

Sounds like it. Check the comp on a bank that the valve cover is easy to get off. If it has none, remove the cover. If the rockers are "sloppy" with lots of clearance, you bent the valves.

Reply to
Steve T

Reply to
john smith