WATER PUMP

MY 95 MAXIMA IS PORING WATER OUT OF THE WATER PUMP THE CAR ISNT EVEN RUNING IF I PUTT WATER IN IT RUNS STRAIT THREW IT . HOW HARD IS IT TO CHANGE THE PUMP ? I HAVE THE REPAIR BOOK DO I NEED TO MARK THE TIMING CHAINE SOME HOW SO I DONT MESS UP THE TIMING ?THE BOOK JUST SAYS TO TURN THE CRANK 20% . I NEED SOMEONE WHO HAS HANDS ON EXP. TO HELP ME WITH MY ? EVERY ONE ELSE SAYS TAKE IT TO THE DEALER BUTT IF I CAN DO IT MYSELF WHY PAY THOSE THEVES!! !!!

Reply to
Tim W via CarKB.com

Are you sure it's coming from the pump? Usually they leak slowly when they fail.

Reply to
JimV

I looked all under the car the hoses are fine the water seems to be runing out from behind the compresor it runs out as soon as i fill up the radiator you dont have to start the car .what else could it be? thanks for any help you can give me

Reply to
Tim W via CarKB.com

Thermostat housing?

Reply to
JimV

All you can do is get under the hood and start taking the pump off. You are sure to find where the leak is at. What else can you lose. It's not going to fix itself.

Reply to
floatinginthestream

It's definitely not the water pump. When you pour water in, it would go into the radiator, flow down to the bottom of the radiator, and, assuming it's not leaking, through the lower radiator hose, into the engine block, and then slightly up into the water pump. The water pump is buried in the engine. It's driven by the timing chain and sits inside the timing chain cover.

I think your leak is around the bottom of the radiator somewhere, perhpas someone even forget to put back the plug for draining it.

CD

Reply to
Codifus

Doesn't the pump just have a small weep hole? The coolant couldn't gush through this like a firehose...

Is there a freeze plug down there that could have popped out?

Reply to
jmattis

Yeah, we're thinking along the same lines, I just couldn't quite find the words . . . . .

CD

Reply to
Codifus