106 water

i need advise on a little water trouble. i have to fill up my water every

2-3 days when the temp light comes on but i can not see a leak anywhere any suggestions
Reply to
pussssy-cat

Is it the temerature light or the water level light?

There are two possibilities.

The head gasket is kaput. The symptons of this are water in the oil usually seen as "mayonaise" on the dip stick or filler cap.

The other is that it is a slow leak that may only manifest itself when the engine is hot. This kind of leak is easiest to find when weather is cold but you should still be able to spot something steaming when you've got the engine really hot. Also look for a greenish stain on the radiator.

Reply to
Phil Cook

thinks its the temp light. its on the left handside of daqsh near the bottom corner.

there is no "mayonaise" on the dip stick or filter cap.

Reply to
pussssy-cat

I'm not actually familiar with the 106 dash but it is usual for Pugs to have a low coolant level sensor that will light before they actually overheat.

If that is the case it has probably got a leak somewhere in the system. The nature of thse is that they leak when the engine is hot - it's a pressurised system after all - and not when cold. So the water is dripping out as you drive along and very little will fall out at your parking place. As I said, get the car really hot and then have a look.

Reply to
Phil Cook

Just looking at all my very old e.mail on list. dont seam to say if you got your car done.? if you did was it the head gasket? or the rad cap? from chris addlestone .

Reply to
Chris

you only need to fill the water container to the mark. it's about 1/3 of the tank. whan you fill it too much, the water will somehow get out of the cooling system and stay on certain level. be worried only if :

-you see a leak, obivously

-you see temperature rising very often, even when it's not hot outside or when you are not in traffic jam

-your heating stops heating/needs really long time to get temperature

otherwise, let it be

Reply to
alan