1997 2.1td reving problem HELP!!!

hi sometimes just after start up the engine revs from 10,000 to20,000 for a short while then settles down and i can drive normaly.another problem is from nowhere the engine goes to top revs this can happen anytime at all,the only thing to do is hang on or switch off,please can someone help me !!!

Reply to
moron

20,000rpm? Is this an F1 car or something? ;) D
Reply to
David Hearn

SORRY im new at this i ment 1,000 to 2,000 revs

Reply to
moron

Reply to
Michael Roche

hi MIKE thanks for the help,but my car has a fly by wire throttle and i dont know where the damper is,,i know thrers one on the fuel pump

Reply to
moron

Hello

I had a very similar problem with my 1997 406 2,1 TD

When started from cold, the car would drive as a horse, which needed to be broken in! After a while, when the engine was hot, the problem disappeared. It would be back at the next cold start. Sometimes it happened even when the engine was hot, but that was seldom. As the car is quite powerful, it is quite a scary experience.

As you mention in one of your answers, the fuel system on these cars is rather advanced. You have one solenoid for accelerating, one for decelerating and one transmitter for telling the computer the position of the speeding system between idling and full speed. Furthermore there is one adjusting device, which handles the ignition timing and a transmitter telling the computer what the timing actually is. The last electric thing on the pump, is the stop solenoid.

On my pump it was the transmitter telling the computer about the actual timing position, which was faulty. When you go to the garage tell them that. Otherwise they will very likely try to sell you a complete new pump, which will obviously solve your problem, but at presumably at least 10 times the costs. The transmitter would cost in the region of 120 to 140 pounds as it is 1500 danish kroner here in Denmark. The item is quite small maybe 3*3*4 centimetres. It is a Lucas part (as the rest of the pump). The numbers with which it is marked with are:

9160-012-A 4495 0496 (forget about the 0496. I think this is the production date) Made in the UK

It is placed on the side of the pump which is nearest the windscreen. It is the only electrical thing on that side of the pump. In my case I was not sure that a new item would solve the problem, as I had to figure it out myself, so I bought a used pump, and just used only the part in question. Finding a good used pump is however tricky, as it might very well have he same fault. The best thing would be to arrange with a garage to exchange the transmitter. Depending on the garage you might get a deal where they take the item out again, and give you some of your your money back, if it does not help. 140 Pounds is quite a lot of money, but the alternative is not that promising either! This fault is not easily found/verified on the OBD garage computers (at least not the one I tried), so don't be fooled by that.

Good luck with the project. Please let me know if it helped!

Best regards V6406 Denmark

Reply to
thomas.baekgaard

Hello again

Try this link.

I still think the feeler on the pump is your problem, but the link might interest you anyway.

Regards Thomas

Reply to
thomas.baekgaard

HI thanks for all your help,but my problem was the temp sender on the side of the cylinder head above the bellhousing ,it is green in colour and cost £10.80 from my local pug dealer PART NO is P133878 It came the next day took 5mins to fit and the reving dissapeared Again thanks for your help and i hope this thread will help others

Reply to
moron

Reply to
Michael Shaw