2001 Pug 306 2 litre auto - fuel consumption

Hi, I recently bought a 2001 306 2 litre auto
It drives wonderfully but uses about 11.5 litres per 100 klm around the city, with about half the distance travelled on the freeway at
100 kph. I don't have a heavy foot either, and on my route to and from work the traffic moves okay, ie I don't sit for very long if at all in traffic jams. - I was expecting better fuel economy than that. How does that compare with other 306's?
Also, do you guys use synthetic oil for the motor as it says in the manual?
I bought it from a non Peugeot dealer with a 3 year warranty, so they do the oil and oil filter changes and probably use cheap oil.
Paltallo