Peugeot 306 HDI Fuel Consumption

I've recently borrowed a 2000 model Peugeot 306 90bhp HDI whilst my other main car is off the road.

I've found that on day in day out short journeys etc, it manages 43mpg.

Doesn't seem too bad really.

However, yesterday we did a leisurely 200 miles in it mainly on quiet country lanes and single carriageway A roads, wafting along at 55 to 60mph most of the time, with maybe 20 miles worth of 80mph'ish cruising.

Again, it's returned 43mpg, which I think given the reports I've read on how these do 50+mpg, and feedback from other people I know who have bigger cars with the same engine (Xsara Picasso / Berlingo) is a bit low.

It's also less than I used to get with ease out of my 110bhp 406 HDI, a heavier car which had covered 170k.

So... any ideas as to why the MPG should be so low?

It's covered 134k, full service history, just had a filter and oil service and otherwise seems to drive fine bar one little niggle:

If you nail it, the injectors seem quite noisy and then shut up just past 3k rpm, at which point you feel a little hesitation and then the car feels slightly less powerful - not by much, but by enough that you feel it.

TIA

Reply to
JackH

Have you actually done a 'full tank, reset trip meter, run till low on fuel then refill and calculate' or are you relying on a display?

It should feel more powerful after a fast blast not less.

Injectors do need reconditioning or replacing after high mileages.

My sisters 306 diesel does early 60's on longer runs and 50 locally. Usually only the driver in it though. She has good quality tyres, which can make some difference and regular servicng, and she always uses branded fuel.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

The former - it doesn't have a fuel computer, and a brace of VAG TDIs that have had them have taught me to work out for real rather than rely on a fuel computer.

N/A, TD or HDI?

Hummm... not so sure diesels are that fussy about the quality of the fuel they use - plenty will run on chip fat?

Reply to
JackH

hers is a td. good fuel makes a difference I believe, having looked inside a few engines.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Ok, so not really comparable, bar the HDI is supposed to do 10mpg more on average than the TD.

This is running on Esso fuel.

None of the other numerous TDs I've had have shown a difference due to using a different brand of pump fuel.

Petrol cars on the other hand, especially the tuned / higher performance ones, have.

Reply to
JackH

a branded fuel is usually alright (except Q8) it is the cheapo supermarket stuff that is to be avoided.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

My PDA shows a small difference between fuel consumption different fuels for the TiD, but not statistically significant. To drive, though, he was noticeably less rattly* on BP Ultimate compared with standard stuff, and again between BP, Total, Shell and Tesco stuff.

*by Charlie's hearing and complaining.
Reply to
DervMan