205 1.1 Compression problem

I just bought a really tidy 36,000 mile G-reg 205 1.1 (TU engine) for a very low price, because the cambelt had gone.

I've had the head off and replaced all the exhaust valves, plus two of the inlets. All the valves ground in nicely and I crack-tested the head before that - with a Molyslip 3-pack aerosol kit and it was AOK. Not warped at all either.

Now that I've put the head back on, with a new gasket and bolts, I've run a compression test and I get 12, 10, 4 and 12 bar on cylinders 1,

2, 3 and 4 respectively. Bugger! Cylinder 3 was on of the ones that had a new inlet as well as exhaust valve.

Whilst the head was off, the liners looked fine (seated properly) and there was no ridge in any of the bores, nor any sign of the piston rings picking up.

I'm at a loss to know why I've got a cylinder down; anyone got any ideas? I tested it cold but I don't think a warm engine will give me back 6-8 bar will it?

/Simon

Reply to
simon.birkby

Whats it running like? smoke?, no power?,it might be just a sticky piston ring and running it might free it off.

Reply to
Chris

I haven't started it yet: I wanted to be sure it was right before I did ...

Reply to
simon.birkby

Just turn the key and try it , its the only way your going to find out.

Reply to
Chris