205 1.9 GTI Rev limiter - is this normal?

Hi,

I've owned my 1991 non cat 1.9 GTI for about 9 months now and have spent most of the last week sorting a handful of issues to get it running better. This included having the injectors ultra sonically cleaned, new HT leads, new spark plugs, rebuilt the dizzy (advance was sticking) and cleaning various connectors etc...

It's running much better and not to bad on the CO only a new dip stick needed now. However when going for one of many test drives I noticed something strange happening when hitting the rev limiter in second gear. A massive plume of smoke came out of the exhaust which eventually cleared a few seconds later after the change up. It wasn't blue just looked like a load of uncombusted fuel made it into the exhaust. Also the oil temperature gauge bounced while on the limiter possibly suggesting a bad earth on the engine. The negative connection from the battery to the bodywork and gearbox has checked and cleaned already, so I don't think it's that.

Is this the normal behaviour or is there a bad connection somewhere?

The limiter usually kicks in a little earlier in second around 6100 than in third which is nearer 6500, is this normal as well?

Cheers,

Ben.

Reply to
bmggooch

[...]

beng

How many times do you need to send it to the group?

Reply to
Chrs

Sorry for that, was a mix up when posting using google.

Ben.

Reply to
beng