Stripped brake caliper thead - Pug 306

Today I replaced the front disc and pads on our Peugeot 306 1998 1.4l petrol.

Everything was going well until I was doing up the last bolt holding the caliper in place and it didn't tighten correctly - it stripped. Rather than stripping the bolt, it stripped the threaded hole in the back of the hub. :( Book (and Peugeot docs) say 110Nm, I was trying it at

100Nm, so wasn't going stupid.

Anyway, the bolt which stripped was different from the other 3. The other 3 were only threaded half way, which fitted with the unthreaded part of the caliper. This one was threaded all the way. I also noticed (before stripping) that it wouldn't fit in the other hole, even though the bolts looked the same size. I then swapped the bolts back to their original position and this is when the problem occurred.

After stripping I noticed that the original type of bolt (50% threaded) pushed straight into the hole, whereas this 'rogue' bolt needs to be screwed in.

I'm suspecting that the last people who did the discs (major nation wide chain who ripped us off with some overpriced work) stripped the thread, replaced the bolt with a slightly larger diameter one (but not noticeably different - I haven't measured them) and hoped for the best.

Anyway - whatever the cause - I have a stripped hole in my hub. Any solutions?

I'm probably going to take it to a local garage tomorrow morning which is about 1mile down the road and see what they can do. I've heard of helicoils. but I'm a bit concerned about trying to do something myself (eg. drilling out) in case I didn't get things square etc.

Any idea the sort of cost of a repair job like this? I'm really hoping that it's going to be repairable, rather than a new hub etc.

Thanks

David

Reply to
David Hearn

So the hub has to come off then? No chance of a garage doing it in-place? Not done that before.... I guess I would need something to compress the suspension coil etc.

I'm probably competent, just not experienced or equipped really. ;) I'm learning though!

I've not needed any engineering places before, so at the moment, wouldn't know where to go. Also, we only have 1 car - so we're a bit limited with getting to places until it's fixed (I'm not happy driving around too far with it like it is - happy to drive it to a very local garage - not happy to go over 30mph doing so. And besides, I can't drive to the engineering place with the hub in the boot ;)

The caliper will need drilling too if a larger bolt is used, I checked that one.

If I had a second car, and therefore could leave it a few days and take my time about it, and drive to places picking up the necessary tools etc

- then I'd probably do it myself - at least, give it a go.

I've been thinking about doing the head-gasket on this car too - but without a 2nd car to get things when things go wrong (as I'm sure they will!), I feel it might not be wise. Thing is though, getting a 2nd car so I can DIY the car jobs seems to defeat the point of trying to save money on the labour in the first place! ;)

Thanks again,

David

Reply to
David Hearn

Around £20-£30 tops at an engineering shop plus whatever hourly charge the garage will want for taking it off.

Seeing as you appear at least half competent, strip the hub off yourself and take it and the caliper to a local engineering place and get them to redrill and tap the hole (may need to do the caliper as well to ensure bolt will go through) and supply you with a new bolt to fit.

Personally I'd drill it and tap it myself but I've got the tools. By the time you've bought the tools to do what is a one off job, it's cheaper to pay someone.

Reply to
Conor

You can just take the strut off - that's what a garage will do. Trying to retap a hole on a moving part with crap access in situ tends to go wrong usually.

Try asking local motorist shops if they know companies that skim cylinder heads. Those type of places will be suitably equipped.

LOL...

Reply to
Conor

Try your local motorcycle shop first, they're far more used to helicoiling things.

Reply to
Duncan Wood