205 rear disc questions

I`ve got a 1.6 GTI and have been offered a rear beam,discs,calipers etc from a 1.9... Now i guess it`s not just a straight swap... but what are the difference and what else will i need to do to do this mod !!

Are the servous the same etc etc...

Thanks

Reply to
Paulinho

Not sure about the servos but you'd need the compensator and new pipework for the rear, but other than that and the servo I think you're fine.

Reply to
Coyoteboy

Now is the compensator the thing that stops the rears locking all the time...?

Reply to
Paulinho

Yeah, it basically reduces the pressures in the calipers the appropriate amount.

A quick search on something like the peugeot sports forums will find you articles of how to do the change.

Coyoteboy

Would you be able to post/email me some pics of the rear beam/rear hubs/etc, if you get it? I'm kinda interested in looking at it for my own 'project car'.. yes that 'thing' I drive ;)

Chris.

Reply to
Chris B

Hello,

can anyone tell me, what the sense is in upgrading to rear discbrakes? When I hit the pedal on my 205 with rear drum brakes, all 4 wheels lock up, so I don't see where the gain in braking performance should come from and why it is believed higher power cars need rear discs. Someone please enlight me on the subject! (I thought of that mod, too, but not for performance reasons, just for the looks :-)

Norman

Reply to
Norman Anthes

Mine never did lock all 4, only the front two, left the rears trailing.

Discs dissipate heat better, they are less likely to lock, they suffer fade less and are more modulatable. Increasing the performance of the car generally means you drive it harder, hence you will want to stop it from faster speeds in any given situation. If your big drums have gotten hot they will lock with relative ease. I had it explained to me better once but I cant remember it. Our uni used to do research into the benefits of discs, and they were pretty conclusive, now they work on reducing squeel for some major companies.

Coyoteboy

You`ve all offered some very usefull advice !!!

I`m well pleased !

Thanks

Reply to
Paulinho