Brake Pads and discs

The brake light has just appeared on my on my dash, I've got a 306 GTI-6, and the dealer has confirmed that both the pads and discs need replacing, does anyone know how long you can leave it before they have got to be done.

and I have been quoted anything from £180 - £300, to get them fitted, does £180 sound cheap, or does anyone know places that do them cheaper.

Thanks

Brett

Reply to
Brett

Bleeding hell!

Are we talking front only or all round?

Stephen.

Reply to
Stephen Woolhead

For my V6 406 pads all round and new front discs cost £180.00 make your mind up. This was a non dealer but more reliable local garage.

Reply to
John Hollinshead

Front only i think......

Reply to
Brett

Ouch! I'll do it for £170!

Seriously though, check out

and do it yourself,its not hard! Discs are about £15 each and pads are £25. However if you drive the car fairly hard (and lets be fair, you should do really :)) then think about uprating the brakes/pads as now would be the ideal opportunity. I'd recommend some Mintex M1144 pads (even with just a standard set of discs). I'd imagine they'd be around the £50 mark.

If not, go to a local independant garage, you should be able to get it cheaper than that. Around £120 would be reasonable.

HTH

Carl

205 Dturbo
Carl Gibbs

a set of tarox vented, drilled and grooved discs and green stuff pads cost around £120 from larkspeed for my 306 DTS. easy to fit. wheel off, undo 2

17mmm bolts holding on caliper, lift away, undo 2 disc screws, take off disc. 1 hr job both sides total. I'd avoid cheap discs. tried those £15 sets and warped 3 sets in weeks. The tarox ahve been on 12 mnoths and are perfect.
Reply to
Simon

dont know what you do to your discs - im well known as a heavy brake merchant (mates with stiff necks after a long journey, and two rear end incidents by people in modern cars not expectin me to stop so quick) and I never managed to warp my £5 each discs from my local place. Mintex pads stopped a bit better than normal but squeeled like a stuck pig.

Coyoteboy

I would, nowadays, only put on the best I could afford - panic pedal must work. In a lower end car though, I never noticed a difference. In my new car (has undersized brakes for its weight) I wont risk cheap parts.

Coyoteboy

maybe it was a bad brand? no probs since. on a GTI-6 you need good brakes. Green Stuff pads have 80% less brake dust. My alloys stay clean!

Reply to
Simon