[205] Unleaded conversion - Can it be done and who does it?

Hi there,

I've had a question from someone that I can't help with - he's got a 205 XS which runs on 4* petrol and was wondering if it's possible to convert it to unleaded and if so, how much would it cost and who does it?

Am I right in thinking that you could get the head from a later XS that runs on unleaded and use that? What else would be required?

If that's possible, it would be a good time to do it as his head gasket has just gone so the head needs to come off anyway!

Cheers, M

Reply to
Matt

AFAIK and of the TU series engines can run on UL, its just a matter of tweaking the timing slightly (3 degrees I think, but I cant remember which way, will look for ya).

Coyoteboy

Ah yes, that does ring a bell (I'm sure it's in the Haynes manual addendum somewhere) - what I was wondering about though was will the valve seats suffer over time or are they sufficiently hardy enough to cope? - Anyone any experience either way?

Cheers, Matt

Reply to
Matt

IIRC, it should be retarded 3 degrees (usually). Hey, that sounds like a weird band name. ;) I don't think valve seat wear is an issue on any TU engines, they're all new enough to be able to take unleaded.

Chris.

Reply to
Chris B

Agreed, on all three points. Stripped my TU1 after 50K running UL and valve seats were as normal i.e. a bit pitted but not much.

Coyoteboy

Thanks Chris & J - that's kind of what I was hoping to hear.

Cheers, Matt

Reply to
Matt