206 brake squeal

Reply to
Chris

Hi all, My wife has an '02 206, which has squealing front brakes, at the last service we asked for the annoying noise to be investigated. We were told it is due to the use of asbestos in the pads being banned! (Funny that, my VW has quiet brakes, as had my Alfa Romeo!) I have tried rounding off the leading edge of the pads, but this wasn't successful. Has anyone found a cure for this, or can anyone suggest replacement pads which don't annoy? Thanks Dave

Reply to
Old Bloke

Thanks Chris, I will give it a try and report back. Dave

Reply to
Old Bloke

Old Bloke wrote: can anyone suggest replacement pads which don't annoy?

Can only say that my 206 has pads supplied by Peugeot and they are silent.

Reply to
Jeff

Copper grease as others have suggested. I can honestly say that I have never had a squealing pad in about 25 years of doing my own brakes. Must have been lucky I suppose. I just use whatever pads GSF supply.

Reply to
malc

Many thanks to all for the comments. I rounded the leading edges of the pads and put a small smear of copper slip on the backs of the pads. 70 mile trip later and she, when asked, said she hadn't noticed the squeal, (nor the lack of it!). I also took the car for a short run, no squeal. Brilliant. The pads are genuine Peugeot items. Must have been unlucky. Dave

Reply to
Old Bloke