206 XSI braking properly?

Hi Guys,

I'm really happy with my Y/2001 206 XSI, except for the brakes.

Two problems with them: There is a tiny "sweet spot" in the movement of the brake pedal. It hard to describe. There is a quite a bit of free play at the top of the pedal, then in the space of about an inch of pedal movement the car will go from a slight braking to a very very hard braking that throws me forward (although the ABS does not engage). Very annoying, especially since the pedals are so light that I have to brace my weight in order to stop pressing on the brake that little bit too hard. Squealing brakes (temporarily "cured" by Peugeot garage three times now) when in that "sweet spot".

If these are characteristic of all 206s, then I will either have to put up with it or change to a car that has more predictable and controlable braking.

I've told the Peugeot garage about these problems twice. Only the squeal has been cured, and then only for about a day. They managed to stop my handbrake from sticking overnight though. I want to be armed with knowledge before I go to them again. The car is almost out of warranty. Any advice appreciated.

P.

Reply to
PosherPants

Hi,

I have a 2003 Xsi and the brakes are an issue.

The squeel is constant. The dealer can cure it for a short time only. My previous Xsi was the same. They say it's difficult to cure and dur to the removal of asbestos (spelling ???) from the pads. Funny thing is this is from all pads across all makes and non of y friend cars squeel.

My brakes also bite unpredictably. Trying to brake gently can be an issue as they suddenly seem to bite more at some point for no reason. Only noticeable at low speeds and not particually violent. Something you'll probably have to live with, though not acceptable.

Martin

Reply to
Martin