206 brake squeal

The brakes on my wife's 53 plate 206 HDi have always squealed to some extent, even from new. They quietened down a little when the pads were first changed but now I have changed the discs and pads (both mintex) the squealing is as bad as ever under light braking. Everything was cleaned and lubed properly when the pad and discs were fitted and I've tried the usual copper grease on the back of the pads when installed but still no change. Any ideas or does anybody know it any squeal shims are available?

Reply to
gruneecaig

Ply a little of copper grease to the tops and bottoms of the pads.as if you put some on the back the only thing that is going to get grease on it will be the piston.

Reply to
Chrs

My 307 has squealing brakes also. The rear brakes are only a few months old and they squeal a lot, even when they were first fitted. So do I just apply some copper grease to the pads? I've never heard of it? Can you please give me some more info on this? I'm very interested. Dan.

Chrs wrote:

Reply to
tricky4000

DONT PUT IT TOO THE PADS.just to the top of the metal that the pads are welded onto.clean the paint of first then add a little bit of copper grease. chris addlestone..

Reply to
Chrs

Sorted it! I had already lubed the pad sliders (not sure that's the correct term but the bits of the backing plate that stick up) and backs with copper grease when I replaced the discs, but after searching about on the net I found a few other makes (mostly MGB's and people who have fitted EBC performance brake pad/disc combos to Imprezas and Skylines) suffer from the same problem and the solution is to file off the leading edge of the brake pad so it doesn't grab the disc. So I rounded the leading edges off all the pads and cleaned and re-lubed the pad sliders with copper grease and hey presto 99.5% reduction in squealing. Not bad for half an hours work - and to think I've been living with it for the past four years!

Rob

Reply to
ebme.technician

So has the squealing stopped still? as you say 99.5% free so you better get out there and get it 100% or your wife will not be happy with you.

Reply to
Chrs

Yep, no squealing, although I think I will probably have to repeat the process sometime in the future when the rounded off edge wears flat again. No worries on the wife front, she thinks it's a miracle and I have earned quite a few brownie points!

I think she also learned to live with it after the first year and a half of nagging me to do something about it and me telling her it was the "newness" wearing off ;-)

Reply to
ebme.technician