206 knocking engine - SOLVED maybe

HI

OK finally took the 206 with the tapping/knocking engine to the garage yesterday and they listened and thought cambelt or valves. Took rocker cover off and adjusted valves. No better then took timing belt cover off but again looks good and no noise.

Took coil pack off and cranked engine and knocking could not be heard, but then again never tried to hear it without motor running. Put coil pack back on but didnt secure it down. Motor started with knocking noise but pressing down on coil pack and noise goes away! So it seems that on one of the spark plugs the coil pack is arcing out and making this knock type noise! Very strange.

I have located a new coil pack for £50 and as i have seen how easy it is to replace i may do it myself and also do filter and plugs at same time. Has anyone ever heard of a coil pack arcing an the spark causing a knock type noise? Even in the dark you cant see where the spark is arcing from.

thanks!

Reply to
tom

Just a guess, but it sounds to me that it wasn't the arc that caused the noise but the arc making the plug spark early and therefore that cylinder to fire early.

Reply to
Keith Willcocks