206 roadwheels

hi

my lad has just got himself a 2001 206 Quicksilver. He wants to upgrade the standard alloys. Can anybody tell me what size wheels he can go up to (wheel diameter and rim width). As u can guess I know nothing about cars :o)

thanx Tim

Reply to
Tim Roper

He can go as big as he likes, but the bigger he goes, the more he'll knacker the ride and handling.

The bigger the alloy, then the lower the profile of the tyre needs to be. Total diameter needs to remain the same - so you have more alloy, and less rubber.

You can compare different tyre sizes at

If he had 185/65/14 rubber on (he doesn't !) then you'd see that 205/40/17 would be an exact match.

First number is the width of the tyre in mm - ie, 185mm and 205mm

Second number is the height of the sidewall, expressed as a percentage of the width - ie, 65% of 185mm and 40% of 205mm (so you can see that the second tyre is much thinner than the first).

Final number is the wheel diameter in inches - ie, 14" and 17"

What size are the tyres currently on his car ?

Reply to
Nom

Hi, thanks for the reply,

His current size is 175/65 R14, he has the chance to buy 205/40 ZR17 off a mate.

What do u think ?

Tim

Tim Roper

Post the numbers into

- 175/65/14 and 205/40/17 - and you'll see that there's only 2.2% difference in size (diameter), so they'll be just fine. They're only 30mm wider, so there won't be any clearance problems. Ensure they really are wheels to fit a Peugeot 206 / 307 - they use a unique offset of ET25. You can't fit wheels from different cars. If the owner didn't buy them to fit a 206 / 307 then they're not the right wheels for you.

Older Peugeots 106/205/306/309/405/406 and older Citroens use a different offset of ET15, so they're not suitable for his 206.

Ford wheels do NOT fit Peugeot. Centre-bore is wrong, and offset is WAY out.

I repeat : > Hi, thanks for the reply,

Reply to
Nom