306 1.9 diesel heating problem

When my car gets warm, the heaters start to steam up the windscreen. Plus I've got the radiator smell in the car but can't see anything wrong with the main radiator. Or any waterloss (so far).

Is there extra pipes in the heating matrix for inside the car? and How could I fix this problem as I cant see the heaters without removing things.

I might add that I'm no mechanic

Reply to
Glynny

I had this same problem with a Citroen ZX 1.9D which is effectively the same car.

I thought I was going to have to replace the whole heater matrix, but when I took a closer look, the pipe retaining clamps on the pipes behind the dashboard that secure the pipes to the matrix had worked loose. They where dripping water/coolant into the fan enclosure.

I know it's a long shot, but worth a look.

Andy

Reply to
Nik&Andy

Thanks, but how do I get to see that without taking the dashboard off? I can get my hand close, but it feels quite well proteced and cant feel any water. What's the best way to get to the pipes?

Reply to
Glynny

I'm sorry, I cannot remember :(

Andy

Reply to
Nik&Andy

Hi,

I just ran into this sort of thing with a '94L 405 GTX 1.9 TD estate - the heater was feeble, and topping the radiiator right up had no effect on it. It turned out that the hose clips were loose under the bonnet, where the matrix pipework comes through the front bulkhead. I suppose the air leak was preventing the cooling system from bleeding all of the air out of the heater matrix (which is mounted higher than the top of the rad - good one, Peugeot). A nice cheap fix if that turns out to be the cause of your problem as well as mine.

Philip.

Reply to
<philipfaeunst