306 difficult starting.

I have a 95 306 Diesel Turbo and are experiencing problems starting it up. It will start easily first turn usually unless I leave it for 2-3 days without starting it. I have changed the glow plugs, battery and fuel filters very recently so the usual suspects can be ruled out. A mechanically minded person I consulted seemed to think that it was sucking air.

I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this and knows what it is? If so I would be very grateful as I am sick of getting the jump leads out onto my spare battery!

Thanks in advance.

Konichiwa

Reply to
konichiwa

does it start if you use jump leads?...if so it just sounds like your battery may be weak, even if it is a new one make sure it is fully charged, and that the alternator is working correctly to keep it fully charged...also if you say its worse after a few days then you may have a problem somewhere that is slowly draining the battery....if you have a multimeter you can check this... also, again if you have a multimeter, check that the glow plugs are working correctly, you may have a problem with the glow plug relay.

Reply to
steve

Thanks, I will check the current use and alternator. I have suspected the glow plug relay before and checked that voltage was reaching the plugs but I am concerned that the relay may be fouled and not supplying the high currents required correctly. I would check this but my multimeter would definitely burn out!

The thing is I don't know where the glow plug relay is and would appreciate a point in the right direction. I will then just replace it to help the process of elimination.

Thanks

charged...also

Reply to
konichiwa

why would your multimeter burn out, there will only be 12volts (or thereabouts) at the glow plugs..just hold your multimeter on any one of the glow plug wires while someone turns your ignition on....you should get voltage for approx 5 seconds...

Reply to
steve

I know how to test if there is voltage present at the plugs, I was referring to a current test where I would have to disconnect the glow plug feed and introduce the multimeter to complete the circuit and see how much current is being drawn (and supplied). If I am not mistaken the glow plugs draw about 12 amps each depending on temperature and all four would draw about 48 amps, which is not insubstantial. This would have to flow through the multimeter (which is fused at 10amps) to measure it, hence blowing it.

This test would determine if the relay was fouled and supplying voltage but because of increased resistance at the contacts doesn't supply enough current through it.

I only need to know where the relay is and I don't have a Haynes to find out where it is, so any help in telling me where to look would be great.

Thanks in advance

Konichiwa

Reply to
konichiwa