1998 Rover 200 Not Starting

Hey there,

i got to a junction yesterday and my rover just cut out and would not restart, and has not done all day today, i checked wasnt siezed and checked battery life and both fine, so im a little lost and wondererd if any one could help,

thank you very much

Adam

Reply to
adam

Just cut out doesn't help much. Does it cut out and stay dead or does it cut out but the starter just turns it over with no firing etc.?

PDH

Reply to
Paul Hubbard

sorry i wil be bit more specific, i had to get towed home and when turn the ignition is nothing, just a clicking sound, the sound is coming from a little black box by the side of the battery below the fuse box, and is no sound coming from starter motor either, thank you

Reply to
adam

Had this with a 200 TD. Check the battery for charge, then check the power from the battery through the fuse box. Check the master fuse as if it has blown. Check all the cable connections to ensure they are all secure and conducting. The chattering is due to a lack of available voltage to hold the relay over. Also check that all earth straps are doing just that as they have a nasty habit of fracturing just behind the crimp connector.

If you have access to a voltmeter, check the battery voltage before and during attempting to turn her over. If the voltage is non-existant or just falls away during attempts to turn then the battery has gone.

PDH

Reply to
Paul Hubbard

thank you very much for your help i willl try all of the above,

adam

Reply to
adam

Mine did that too. It was unable to jump start, either.

Tow it to the dealer. Dealer said it was the battery, but I know it was not the case.

I think it was not properly engaged in the PARK gear. Because it happened again, then I just firmly push it into PARK, then it would start.

Reply to
Andy Chao

I just got me a 2001 Rover 25, and shortly after I experienced the same clicking sound on attempting starting. I checked the voltage upon the starting attempt, and this was 5-6V !! No wonder it wouldn't start. However, when finally running (with towing) there was about 14,5V accross the battery, so I knew the charging was ok.

New battery! That was it. Now it starts like a dream.

From earlier experiences I know that car batteries can go really sick in short time. Probably there is one cell that gets very high internal resistance, and this inhibits the whole battery to deliver the neccessary current.

Though, one guy told me that a battery like this can be brought back to life with a very powerful charger, like at least 50-100 amps for a short time. This would burn away any oxidation, or something like that. (don't stay too close during this Myth Buster experiment, I would say)

Bjorn

Reply to
Bjorn Sagbakken