306 starting problem

306 1998cc Turbo Diesel

I have had no problems starting my 306 in any weather in the two years I have had it.

Since last week it has become 'lumpy' when starting in the mornings and I have to keep the starter motor on until it builds up momentum and finally catches.

After this it is fine starting for the rest of the day

Could anyone give me some advice on what may be causing it.

Cheers

Tony

Reply to
Tony

it needs one or more glow plugs replacing.

Reply to
mrcheerful

Sounds like a glow plug problem?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The message from "Dave Plowman (News)" contains these words:

This seems to be the new "carb icing" doesn't it? Ain't seen one of them this year - but plenty of non-glowing diesels.

Reply to
Guy King

Also get the battery checked. If it's the original 1998 battery it may be spinning the starter, but not with enough gusto to get things going. A mate had an 8 year old Festa 1.8D with the original Ford battery which did this. After checking and replacing some glow plugs with no major improvement I tried it with jump leads and it burst into life. A new battery cured it.

Reply to
Doctor D