VW Polo starting problems

I have a '95 M reg Polo, and a problem starting, mainly that it doesn't!! was driving along a few days ago happy as larry when the car suddenly stuttered and died on me. Got it to a friends, checked pretty much everything we could think off, neither are that mechanically minded so was pretty limited to what the haynes manual said!! But there is plenty of power from battery, sparks are going fine through leads and to plugs. The RAC chap showed me what could be the problem, if you remove the feeder into the carb (hope thats right!!) and tick the engine over plenty of fuel is coming through, however, reconnect the pipe and tick it over, and look into the carb, and theres a little flap that seems to allow the fuel in to mix with the air, all i can see is a slight amount of vapour. The RAC chap said this is the problem, as there is no pressure. Any one else had, or know of a similair problem, and how it can be fixed without expensive garage bills, as am skint and need the car!!!! Or how much it's looking at costing me!!??!!

Any help greatly appreciated!1

Thanks

P.S Have had problems starting the car in the cold, usually have to crank it for a few minutes to start with foot on gas pedal, but starts quicker in the warm, if that helps Cheers

Reply to
xzibit_west27

If it's a 95 on an M it won't have a carb, but they are known for having dodgy ignition barrels where they can stick this will cause starting problems.

Reply to
Depresion