306 Mark1 or 2?

Hi, My car is a 306 1997 model, is there an easy way to tell whether its the Mark 1 or the Mark 2? (I believe this was the year there was a slight body shape change) TIA

Reply to
A 8

The easiest way is the Mark 2 has hydraulic struts for the bonnet. The Mark 1 has a rod.

Reply to
nigel

The changeover date from Phase I to Phase II was April 1997.

There are many changes (not all obvious), some of are:

Different headlights: Phase II and III are one unit; Phase I has a separate indicator.

Different rear-light clusters: Phase I has a 'corner' shape.

Different grille: Phase II and III have a smooth rather that slatted grille, and newer badge style

Different dashboard layouts too, the most obvious being the odometer: Phase Is are mechanical; II and III have digital.

Several other changes too.

-- sA

Reply to
southpawArcher