Bosal Exhaust ... rear silencer, intentional pin hole or not?

Hi,

Crossposting to alt.autos.saab and uk.rec.cars.maintenance.

The car is a SAAB 9000 (year 97, 2.0 LPT). Today I had a mid and rear section exhaust fitted by Kwick-Fit (Partco parts if it matters).

The 2nd (last) silencer has a pin hole at its rear plate. By rear plate I mean the end that connects to the mid section. The pin hole appears intentional (I could only feel it not see it) and is low down in the middle of the back plate.

Just imagine a pin hole around 1 mm in size on the left plate (as you see it) of the final silencer.

I am told that Vauxhalls (what a coincidence) tend to have such a hole and it is to help the rear silencer stay dry so it does not corrode internally. Does it sound true?

I can understand the issue of corrosion, but I don't see how that hole will help in any way but ... it does not feel like a drain hole.

Any comments appreciated.

Regards Charles

PS. For my SAAB friends. When I looked around 2000 for a complete Bosal exhaust, Bosal did not make the last section for post 1996 9000s. I guess by that time GM was sourcing SAAB exhausts elsewhere whereas before Bosal had been the OEM for SAAB exhausts.

Reply to
Charles C.

Charles C. proclaimed to uk.rec.cars.maintenance ...

I'd have thought any pinhole would have been considered an MOT failure? It would have to be right at the bottom to be an anti-corrosion thing, plus it would likely block within weeks anyway.

Reply to
Coyoteboy

or

Bad form replying to my own post.

Googled again and first hit (why did I search for earlier?) tells me there is a drain hole. If anyone is interested ...

Sorry for the noise.

Regards Charles

Reply to
Charles C.

or

its intentional, because cat fitted vehicles produce a lot of water, unless they have a "drain" hole the water will sit in the lowest part of it & rot it from the inside out, if you find it does make a blowing sound just screw a self tapper into it & it isnt an MOT failure.

Reply to
reg

It may be intentional, but pin holes are typical welding defects, so it's not all clear what the holes are for.

Reply to
johannes