306 squealing

Hi,

My 1999 306 1.8 petrol has an intermittent loud squealing sound (sometimes sounds as if there is an element of grinding as well), this has been happening on and off for a couple of years. It can last for a day or a week at a time and may not do it for a couple of weeks before it returns.

Sod's law states that every time it goes to the garage it never does it. They have changed the belt, tensioner and pulley but it still returns. Listening to it yesterday evening it would appear that it is coming from the power steering pump, can anyone advise me if this is a likely source of the noise, is it common and a rough guide to the cost of having it replaced at a non main dealer garage.

The sound seems to be engine revs dependant to a degree and full steering lock in either direction does produce a low level deep rumbling noise when moving.

The noise is getting deeply embarrassing - you can hear me approaching long before you see me!

Thanks for any assistance.

Reply to
Blobby

What about checking your bottom crankshaft pulley.on my 405 it makes a noise, but when it is warm it stops.

Reply to
Chrs

This noise is without doubt coming from the top of the engine. Phoned my local garage today who say it will cost the best part of 300 pounds to replace - sounds a bit over the top to me (£180 + vat for the pump alone).

Reply to
Blobby

Get out your longest screwdriver, place the blade on the pump (when you can hear the noise) and place handle firmly against your ear. This very high tech stethascope will identify the source of the noise. Move the blade from place to place until you confirm it. If the pump is easy to get at, ie. at the top of the engine, then it is really a simple job to do. Have a look at

(Neat Autos) for the pump and see what cost an exchange unit would be. Euro Car Parts also stock them, and you might have a branch closer, though Neat autos are in West Drayton, very close to Heathrow. An excellent place for all your Peugeot parts.

Reply to
Brian

I might be a mile off here, but my 606 diesel had a sqealing noise and it was coming from the exhaust manifold between the head. I thought it was the water pump/timing belt pully.

Reply to
mr