306 TD Cooling Fan Problem

Hope someone can help with this, I have an M Reg 306 XNDT and when stuck in traffic in hot weather the STOP light comes on. I've found that the cooling fans aren't working and that is why the ligh comes on. I've checked the fuses and at also earthed the thermo switch connector on the radiator(3 terminal version), but still the fans won't work.

Does anyone have any ideas of what to try next?

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
wiltsboy

It is highly likely that there is a wiring/connection problem with the fans. my experience is from a 405 M reg but possibly wired in the same appalling way. Three relays mounted on the 'air in' side of the radiator change the fan speed by connecting the fans in series (slow) or parallel (fast). These are only protected from the elements by elasticated, plastic 'condoms' and after 10 years, muck may well have got in. This is a radiator grille off job and then you should see the relays. Do make sure the fans cant start up with your fingers nearby!!

hth

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

As a stopgap measure until you get the fans working run the heater with the fan on full blast. You will get hot but it will cool the engine.

Reply to
Phil Cook

Or as I did with a friend's girlfriend's car, put a wire direct from the battery to the fans, or short out the thermoswitch.

Reply to
Malc