306 XT Engine Transplant

The power would be nice, but I don't know how the cars would be to drive though. The two stage intercooler would increase the turbo lag quite a lot so the throttle response would be pretty bad.

From what I've heard they seem to last surprisingly well. The only problems I've heard about are headgaskets and turbochargers. A number of people (and tuning companies) say that 1.2 bar is a safe maximum boost to go for, so that's what I'll be aiming for with my car when I get my air leak into the fuel sorted out.

Shaun

Reply to
Shaun

Hello,

Sorry, late but haven't seen new entries...

Sure, no risk of overpressure ? I wouldn't play !

True they're strong. I haven't heard of a Pug unit powering a Land Rover. The only 5 (from memory) 4x4 trucks I've seen powered by Pug are : - Suzuki Santana (XUD9, TD version was XUD9T (no intercooler) 83HP) ; - Lada Niva (XUD9, 65 or 70HP version) ; - UMM ; - Peugeot P4 (military vehicle, released around 1980, first type with XD series (504), second type with XUD9) ; - last but not least : 505 Dangel.

More fuel, less economy. Sound as a logic thing to me - here, you've made your choice.

205 Diesel & turbo-Diesel :
G.T

Hello,

True.

I'd like to know what engine they used... Perhaps the old XD series on older Land Rovers...

205 Diesel & turbo-Diesel :
G.T

The 1.7d 205 handles better than any small diesel of it's time. I'm driving a 306 1.9 van now, and it's nothing on the 205. It didn't have blistering acceleration, but you can throw it into a corner at crazy speeds. Still nothing on the gti though. Best compromise is the gti fitted with the 1.9td engine.

Someone told me that you're not allowed to modify your car in France, is that true?

Ollie

Reply to
Ollie Walsh

Hi Ollie,

Acceleration ain't that bad, for a small Diesel. And you can run at 90MPH quite easily on motorways.

We had one, with the 1.7TD, it was called the DTurbo :-)

True. Indeed, you cannot mod a lot of things. First of all is the engine, for example I can't fit a 1.9TD engine, neither the 1.7TD, as it ain't my original engine type (talking about a french 205D, type 20xA92). The exhaust cannot be modded, excepted if it stays withing limits (written on the reg card, from memory 84dB @ 3200RPM). The lights should not (including Lexus lights). The only freedom you have is on tyre types, size *should* match the original car.

Most of driving muppets break these laws, and still have their MOT every two years. Sure the UK must sound like heaven for all these nerds.

205 Diesel & turbo-Diesel :
G.T