306 XTDT brake problem

Before Christmas, a slave cylinder on a rear wheel failed and drained all the brake fluid out of the car. I found this out the hard way - by having the pedal go to the floor! The garage replaced the failed slave, and the other rear slave as it was leaking and replaced the fouled brake shoes. Driving the car home, I noticed excess travel on the pedal, and a hissing noise from under the dash, whenever the pedal was depressed. The garage had a look and said the auto-adjuster hadn't taken up and it was much better for a few weeks. In the new year, I noticed that when the car had sat for a long time, i.e. over night, the pedal had excess travel, but would firm up again after one or two applications. The garage suggested the master cylinder seals may have been damaged when the pedal went to the floor, so I had it replaced. Now, I'm getting some excess travel again, and the hissing noise has returned.

I don't know much about brakes, but I do now that it seems to me as if the brakes are sometimes working at 100% and at others have greatly reduced efficiency. As it is a diesel and so uses a vacuum pump, I'm wondering if the pump is failing, and this is causing the loss of pressure.

Any ideas most welcome!

Simon

Reply to
Nasixi

MIKE ROCHE

Reply to
mindwipe

Do servos tend to die altogether, or can they develop intermittent faults? The problem seems to be exacerbated by cold weather, and the hissing is very intermittent - i.e. can be days or a week before you hear it again. Sometimes, instead of a hiss, you hear a "pop" sound, as if a diaphragm has suddenly moved (or turned inside out), if you know what I mean.

Thanks

Simon

Reply to
Nasixi

i do know and chances are the brakes will be ok for a while but having driven a car with a failed servo i wouldn't let it lie change it asap

Reply to
mindwipe