307 Hdi 90 2001/51 'Pinking'

Our 2001/51 307 Hdi 90 has been suffering a bit recently. When the engine is started in the morning, with the air-con off, the engine at idle does not run smoothly, but is quite erratic and lumpy. On 2 recent occasions having driven to the bottom of the road and dipped the clutch at the junction, the engine has cut-out. This is very unusual for a diesel. It's fair to say that this car has never run very smooth after starting, but these recent events have lead us to believe that there is something not quite right now.

Also when driving while the engine is cold, there is a definite 'pinking' sound at revs of between 1000-2000RPM under gentle acceleration. I know diesels can be noisy when cold, but this just doesn't sound right. It sounds like a 'bag of nails' at times. When the engine has warmed up, the 'pinking' sound disappears and the engine runs smoothly.

We recently had a 36K service. The dealer tested the car on a Diag2000 and found one of the glow plugs was faulty. We thought this might have cured the problems, but the 'pinking' sound is still present.

I don't know if this diag 2000 checks that all the sensors are working, especially engine temperature. Does anyone know how thorough this equipment is? or have you experienced similar problems?

We don't know what to do now, except may be trade in the car before the warranty runs out in October.

Regards

Robert

Reply to
Rob(UK)

Michael Shaw

I had the same problem on a 305, it turned out to be the pump :-( May be worth checking the injectors first tho.

Rick.

Reply to
Rick Maninov