307 horn not working

The horn on my 51 reg 307 1.6 Rapier has stopped working again. It did it previously about 2 years ago while it was under warranty and was fixed by the dealer.

Even though it's now out of warranty, should I expect the dealer to fix it again on the basis that it's a known design fault? It's apparently a problem with the earthing. Does anybody know anything more about it?

Thanks.

Raymond

Reply to
Raymond Dalgleish

I guess that when they did it the first time, all they did was clean up the contacts on the rear of the horn push (air bag). Since then Peugeot has come out with a solution. Take off the air bag and there is the earth for the horn just pushed in to a square hole. I reckon it only needs slight corrosion and the horn becomes intermittent and then does not work. The connector has to be cut off and the two wires crimped into a ring terminal. Use a self tapper to screw it straight into the aluminium boss. Just below the square hole there is a slightly raised bit about 5mm in diameter. Drill there, all the way through. It is best to remove the steering wheel but can be done in situ if care is taken not to damage the switch gear behind. Use a self tapper just long enough to go through the hole. Put everything back together and the horn should work with no further trouble.

Reply to
nigel