307 horn problem (again)

The horn on my 307 still only works intermittently. Needless to say, it ALWAYS works when I take it to the garage.

I have decided to have a go myself at cleaning up the connector that causes the problem, but I cannot get the air-bag cover/horn push off. I know that it entails pushing in a spring clip on each side by pushing a rod into the holes either side of the steering wheel. I can feel the clips moving against the springs but I cannot remove the cover/horn push.

Can anybody suggest what I am doing wrong?

Raymond

Reply to
Raymond Dalgleish

Push through the hole until you feel the spring, then while pushing lift the airbag on that side. Repeat on the other side. Don't bother just cleaning the earth connector. The mod is to remove the earth from the square hole, cut off the connector and put on a small ring terminal. Just below the square hole is a slightly raised round bit (there's one the other sdie too). Drill a small hole through here (best to take the wheel off altogether to avoid drilling into the shroud beneath. Also it will make it easier to clean out the aluminium filings), and attach the wires with a small self tapper (again not too long. It only needs to just go through the hole). Hope this helps.

Reply to
nigel

I have tried pushing and lifting (as you suggest) but the airbag will not come off. Do I need to push more? I'm afraid that I might break something.

Raymond

Reply to
Raymond Dalgleish

Yes, you need to push fairly hard. You won't break anything, they are strong wire clips. Theoretically, you should push both sides together and the airbag jumps up. But that rarely works (for me anyhow).

Reply to
nigel

Thanks.

Even before I got your reply I went ahead anyway and applied more force. The air bag came off and, as you say, the wire clips are indeed strong. I was pushed for time, so I just cleaned up the connector and the horn seems to work fine now.

I did wonder if it would be a good idea to use battery-terminal "grease" to avoid further corrosion. Or, perhaps, Vaseline as I believe that it conducts too. Any thoughts?

Raymond

Reply to
Raymond Dalgleish

Never tried it, but I suppose it would help, but I don't think it would be permanent. The earth relies on the springiness of the connector to hold against the sides of the hole. Not a good design I feel. The only real cure will be to screw it tightly to the wheel. If you're going to the trouble of taking it off again to apply vaseline, then do the mod and you will NEVER have any further problem. LOL.

Reply to
nigel