307 latest exhaust fix anyone?

Has anybody had the VERY LATEST fix done on their 307's exhaust? Ours, which has been in four times before, is going again to have the latest modification. The last one stopped the resonance through the floor, but introduced a hideous squeak on every gearchange or on lifting off the throttle. The squeak is starting to be accompanied by a thump.

Trouble is, I don't want to give it to them until they've got the new glovebox lid (the handle broke off four weeks ago) which they claim to be finding impossible to get hold of.

Haven't broken the news to them about the creaking and clonking from the rear door yet.

But does this exhaust fix work? When did man invent exhaust pipes? You'd think they'd be foolproof by now.

Androo

Reply to
Androo

Probably needs a software update ;)

Reply to
Chris B

I can't answer your question specifically, but the "hideous squeak on every gearchange" has just begun happening on my 307. In fact, there are two different squeaks: one when you lift off the throttle and another subtley different one when you put the throttle down again. This may be related to the problem which the dealer sorted a couple of months ago that is caused by the anti-roll bar being mis-aligned. This causes a thump or a "crack" (which you can feel as well as hear) especially at low speeds when cornering.

Raymond

Reply to
Raymond Dalgleish

That sounds worrying - how many miles on the car? Squeaking when going on and off the throttle could be just about anything - maybe engine mounts, suspension, something in the drivetrain, something loose that moves under acceleration/deceleration.... Does it always happen, or is it only under hard acceleration? Can you rev the engine in neutral and get it to happen (probably not, but worth a try)? I must say, these 307's seem to be no end of trouble. No wonder Peugeot already has the 308 very much in the pipeline.

Chris.

Reply to
Chris B

I've only done about 17000 miles though the car will be three years old in November. It seems like the sqeaking always happens, though it's easier to hear at low speeds. Revving the engine in neutral does not produce the squeak so that eliminates engine mounts as the cause. Looks like yet another visit to dealer.

I'm seriously considering selling the car before the warranty runs out in November and it's unlikely that I will buy another Peugeot even though I was delighted with my previous 306 XT. My wife has a 406 Estate HDI which she uses to pull her horse trailer and she is delighted with that too. Looks like Peugeot lost the plot.

Raymond

Reply to
Raymond Dalgleish

Mine's only done 22,000 in two years. Likewise, the squeaking is only under load and in gear. The dealer says it's the exhaust. What happens after the warranty runs out is a serious concern since it's been back to the dealer far too often so far. If I'd been footing the bill for all the work, heaven knows what it would've cost.Last car was a 406 which was superb: reliable, refined, smooth-riding. Everything the 307 isn't, alas.

Androo

Reply to
Androo

the 307 is and always will be the worst car peugeot have ever made

Reply to
Mindwipe

We have also been having problems with our 307 (52 reg) and have found out that you can reject the car at the dealer you brought it from. we have been talking with customer services trying to get compensation for the problems which are still happening after several visits to two dealers, apparently the procedure is that they take the car back to the manufacturer and they try to solve the problem completely if they can't then they allow you to reject the car, not sure at the moment what the outcome would be, either a credit note (to spend at Peugeot) or refund am still trying to find out the exact procedure

Reply to
simone.robinson

I did a bit of research into rejecting a car when I owned a bad Saxo, according to a lawyer and part time law lecturer at university, you would have great difficulty rejecting a car at more than a few months old. The best you could hope for is a good trade in value for your 307.

The difficulty then would be deciding what to buy next.

Reply to
Ben Cowell

I am going to try my best, we have already decided that its not going to be another Peugeot even though we had one before that had no problems this ones put us off for life.

Reply to
simone.robinson

Took delivery of my 307s HDI 110 in January and I had no less than 20 items go wrong in the first two months. I tried to reject the car but was asked to give them a chance to sort it. I gave them the benefit of the doubt, and to their credit they are now all sorted with the exception of a new Gearbox which is being fitted in a couple of days time.

I have to say, despite all the problems I'm actually really happy with the car now.

Nick.

Reply to
Nick (UK)

Well, perhaps a bit strong! I'd rather be driving a 307 than a 304 or a 305. Or even a 306. But the 307 does seem to be worse, in its time, than any of those cars. Hopefully the 308 will be better, but I suspect a lot of 307 owners won't be too keen to find out. I hope the 1007's quality is sorted out from day one, because that does look interesting. A radical Peugeot.

Androo

Reply to
Androo

In their time, the 304 and the 305 were perfectly respectable cars. In fact, the 305 won a great deal of support across the motoring press at the time it was launched and the car certainly wasn't plagued with problems. One motoring journalist got a brand new 305, loaded it with spares and drove from england to north Africa - he didn't need any of the spares! If I could, I think I'd rather be driving a brand new 305 or 306 today than a 307.

Chris.

Reply to
Chris B

Yes, the 305 was a nice car in its day and the 304 still looks good. But for day-to-day motoring I'd rather be in my air-conditioned, power-steered, ABS-equipped and six-airbagged 307, than in something that probably wouldn't even get 1 star in a Euro NCAP crash test. I'm sure the 307 is quieter on the motorway too, and of course it doesn't poison the environment to quite the same degree and can be 85% recycled when it dies (which could be quite soon).

Our standards have changed, and so (unfortunately) have our expectations.

Androo

Reply to
Androo

You're quite right, of course. However, you could actually get a 305 with power steering and air-conditioning ;) I think it'd be possible to retro fit ABS with 306 parts as well - plus the later models used the XU engine, which could probably be swapped with a more efficient and newer diesel variety. Motorway noise wasn't that bad either. It was a very well equipped car in Mk2 guise. And, erm, yes. I have got one. And no. I haven't driven then 307.

I do think we are going through somewhat of a transitional stage in terms of car manufacture, design, etc. There is a greater reliance on computers and a drive towards greater efficiency and innovation. I think this has been the main reason that reliability has sometimes started to slip.

Chris.

Reply to
Chris B

expectations.

Indeed. And we now demand a host of stuff on our cars, mainly safety and environment related, that we never use, hopefully (airbags, safety cells etc), that adds to the complexity and probably detracts from the driving experience and reliablility while adding hugely to the expense and complexity of repairs.

Androo

Reply to
Androo

Bad start but a good outcome glad to hear someone is actually pleased even though they have had several problems, was is the dealer that sorted it or did it go back to Peugeot, hopefully ours will get sorted when it is booked in at the end of this week,

Simone

Took delivery of my 307s HDI 110 in January and I had no less than 20 items

Reply to
simone.robinson

All issues sorted by the Dealer.

I think they see the same problems repeating themselves with this model (although they wont admit it) and therefore have quite a good knowledge base of "common problems".

Nick.

Reply to
Nick (UK)