406 HDI timing belt noise

Hi,

I changed the timing belt (including water pump and tensioner) on my 406 HDI about 7000 KM ago. The timing belt has now started to make a whining noise when I start the engine when it's cold. After letting the engine run for about 5 minutes, the noise changes I character, and becomes more quite.

Is it the timing belt that causes this noise?, and what can I do about it?

Br. TIH

Reply to
Tih Hansen via CarKB.com

I'm not sure how the 406's timing belt is tensioned, but check to see that it is not overtightened if it is a manually adjusted type, and that any idlers are in good condition. If it's an automatically tensioned type check that the tensioner is working properly and isnt worn out. My old 205 made a different noise like you describe after the cam belt was changed and properly tensioned, and never had any problems for the few thousand miles I drove it before I got another one, so it might not be something overly concerning if you can't find anyhting wrong. I'd still like to know what it was though...

Andy

Reply to
stealthf0x

Hi,

The Timing belt is tensioned manually, and I am sure that the idlers are in good condition.

How tight should the belt be tightened?

TIH

Reply to
Tih Hansen via CarKB.com

Again I'm unsure for the 406 HDI as i've never done one. Have a look in the haynes manual for it. It'll say something like Xmm deflection at the longest run as a rough guide, but it should be tensioned properly by applying X amount of torque to the tensioner. The deflection should be enough to tell if it's done right or not.

Andy

Reply to
Andy J