406 2.1TD running on

I bought a 97 406 2.1TD Executive a few months back and everything has been peachy until today. A bit of background: It has just over

170,000mls on the clock, averages about 45mpg around town and doesn't use oil or water. It has been serviced at regular intervals all its life (it shows). I've been running it on bio-diesel for the past month without any issues.

I've noticed over the last few days that it has been taking slightly longer to stop when turning the ignition off. Today came to switch it off at B&Q and it ran on at tickover for about 4-5 seconds - no reving on its own and throttle inputs made no difference. When I came out and restarted it, it did so straight away as usual except after a few seconds the check engine lamp came on and stayed on.

Now every time I turn the ignition off it runs on for a few seconds and the engine lamp comes on and stays on whilst driving. It starts without hesitation (hot or cold) and drives/responds just a usual. I first suspected a faulty stop solenoid but being fly-by-wire I'm unsure as to whether it has a conventional stop solenoid. Does anybody have any ideas?

Your help is much appreciated.

Cheers Craig

Reply to
Craig

By engine lamp I assume you mean the orange light with a picture of an engine and showing what appear to be oil ways shaped a bit like a K. This means that there is a fault message waiting to be read. Take it to a garage (not necessarily a Pug agent and they should be able to read the message which in turn should tell you what the fault is.

Reply to
Keith Willcocks

I thought it was going to be that sort of problem, just hoping it wasn't. I'll try and get it plugged in this week and go from there.

Cheers Craig

Reply to
Craig

Well I put it into my local LSUK (with it being a Lucas EPIC thought it would be best) They diagnosed it as being faulty actuators within the pump and managed to do a rebuild whilst in situ. The final bill came to =A3268. When asked what caused it they reckon it was the bio-diesel I have been running it on - i'm a little sceptical as my previous 405TD ran fine for years as does my parents range rover, still for now i've switched back to regular diesel and all is well again.

Reply to
Craig

Is it definitely a TD and not an HDI because I have seen quite a lot of warnings about using BIO in HDI engines.

Reply to
Keith Willcocks

I may have had my fair share of blonde moments in my time but I am certain it is a TD (XUD11BTE) and if it isn't i'm gonna look and feel a right spanner (and rightly so). If it was a HDI I definately wouldn't use bio as like yourself i've heard too many stories of complete fuel system failure and repair bills in excess of =A32000!!

Reply to
Craig