406 2 litre misfire

My 406 1999 T reg executive (non turbo) has a slight misfire, this only occurs at 2000 rpm (any gear) the car has 82K on the clock and has full service history my local garage are at a loss (non dealer but with full diagnostics) Has anyone else had or head of anything similar? Any pointers appreciated. Many thanks John

Reply to
JB

Is this a diesel or petrol engine? If it is diesel it is probably an HDI and this could be the early signs of the lift pump in the fuel tank failing. If it is an HDI get the filter checked for minute metal filings. If they are present, you might get away with a full system clean out and a new pump. If Peugeot get their hands on it they replace everything from tank to injectors for about £3,000.

Reply to
Keith Willcocks

Sorry should have said its a 2 litre petrol, John

appreciated.

Reply to
JB