406 Cambelt tensioner

Hi I have a 98 406 V6 it's been in to have it's cambelt changed, the trouble is it's been in for over a month already and still waiting for the tensioner to
be imported from France. I'm spitting feathers, heard today from the garage that it'll be at least 15th Sept before the part is delivered to Coventry and then I suppose at least 2-3 days before I get my car back. All the other parts have arrived and the car is all sorry looking with it's engine dropped etc waiting. The car is at a reputable garage (not main dealer as they quoted 1,100+) that has been servicing the car foir years, not had any problems with them before and they're very apologetic but stuck as am I. I don't know what to do. Has anyone had similar problems getting parts? One option is to put it all back together with new belt, rollers etc but with the existing tensioner, any advice as to if this is sensible? The garage owner is in two minds, aside from the cost (of replacing the tensioner when it does eventually become available) would the old part be put under extra stress from the new parts? Would driving it gently be enough to ensure it didn't break completely? I'm really stuck, any advice would be a great help. I'm missing my car badly!! I'm currently driving a Corsa 1.2 which the garage have loaned me but it's just not the same (very econimical though lol) Please help Thx Chris

is
garage
other
dropped
when
help.
Why use a pug part. Surely they have access to non pug parts that are just as good. The V6 was only made in France at that time and consequently has all the French problems. [Well mine has any way].

trouble
tensioner
Coventry
Don't know if it is the same type, but I have never changed the tensioner on the TD engines, and have never had a problem. As long as the roller is OK, put it back. In fact I have never changed any of the guide rollers either. Thus total cost under 20.00. It is worth checking the oil seals on the camshaft and crankshaft while you have access though.

have you tried sourcing the part from them?

the
tensioner
OK,
either.
Again I've gone down this road with no luck, just hasn't been my day

trouble
tensioner
Coventry
One
with
extra
it
Haven't been able to find a non pug part, apparently they're just not available
I'm interested to know what all the French problems are though, just so I know what to look out for. Up until now haven't had any serious problems with the engine side of things (that's tempting fate a bit) Has been a fantastic car to own and great fun to drive.