Defender 90 cambelt

Hi to you all, this is my first posting but I am after advice on changing the cam belt on my 1989 defender 90. I have never done one before but am up for the challenge. What I need to know is do I need to change any other parts as well as the casing gasket & the belt ? Are there any unseen pitfalls that I may come across ( not being a mechanic I would`not know one if it hit me in the face ) How long should the job take to do normally. Am I being wise to attempt this or foolish & should leave it to the professionals. Can I get a step by step instructions from anywhere. Looking forward to any replies with thanks. Steve (AGGIS)

Reply to
Aggis

What cambelt would that be then?

Reply to
SimonJ

New belt tensioner as well is recommended.

You'll need a beam type torque wrench to set the tensioner.

As long as it takes! I wouldn't bother trying to rush it and get done in a specific time frame.

Just make sure that the timing marks line up, before and after the new belt and you should be OK. Turn the engine over by hand a couple of times after fitting the new belt to make sure that everythings OK.

I believe difflock.com had timing belt instructions for a 300Tdi - worth having a look to see. If you have any more specific problems then post here and more advice will no doubt be forthcoming from others :)

Regards

William MacLeod

Reply to
William MacLeod

William MacLeod wrote in news:6IoSc.100$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe3-gui.ntli.net:

I did post links to a couple of sites, then realized they were

300Tdi's so did not bother.

Here they are again:

Willie, I still have your torque wrench. Tom promises to do my timing belt "soon"....

Derry

Reply to
Derry Argue

Does a 1989 90 even have a cambelt? What engine is it?

Paul

Reply to
Paul Everett

Unless it is aV8 then I would have thought all '89 90's had a timing belt.....

David LLAMA 4x4

David_LLAMA4x4

You're right - I forgot the TD had one, thought it had a chain for some reason.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Everett

You're not alone, I always thought all the td's had chains.

Reply to
SimonJ

Apparently the 2.25 ones are all chains and the 2.5 ones all belts (for diesels). The 2.5 petrol retained a chain.

Source: LRE Dec 2002, Page 165.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Everett

Yip, that's the one. A well written article and it's pretty much the same for the engine in question.

No particular rush - the latest acquisition (RR) has a chain for the timing, so it'll be some time before I need the timing pin/torque wrench again!

Regards

Willie

Reply to
William MacLeod

William MacLeod wrote in news:TjCSc.3$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe3-gui.ntli.net:

Did you try Iain Munro for RR bits? (Last house in the first group going from me to the A9). He did say he was selling the house and moving so presumably he will be getting his mini-scrap yard shifted first!

Three Defender front seats in this week's Scot-Ads. But nearer Aberdeen than I can afford the diesel for...

Thanks for your help as usual. Tools are here whenever you need them.

Derry

Reply to
Derry Argue