406 diesel queries

Hi all

I know very little about cars and I hope someone here can help with these questions:

406 2.1 TD saloon - R(98) 67K purchased second hand from a dealer.

  1. Tyres - correct pressures for normal use? Tyre types are:195/65, manual says 2.3 front 2.4 rear, what's this in PSi? Also, I thought the front ones would have a higher pressure due to the weight of the engine??

  2. Coolant - On holiday last week I was caught in a traffic jam, engine temp was up at 90+ for a few hours and the "low coolant" warning light came on and off intermittently. Initially on flat ground, then only when going up a hill. On the return journey the temp was fine and the light stayed off - has not come on again since. I checked the coolant level today and it seems to be correct (between narrow bar and side-slot in tube insert). When I looked in the manual it said only to have coolant topped up at a dealer and only to use two specific types of coolant (Procor 3000 or Revkigel 107 only). Haynes just says to top up with a mixture of antifreeze and water - any advice for future reference here and comments on the warning light??

any patient assistance appreciated. :-)

Andy

Reply to
McLellan

I have exactly the same car, 1998 2.1TD GLX 406 saloon and have literally just come from the garage when I checked my tyres. It said on the door in mine that both front and back should be 33PSi. Coolant, just use ordinary antifreeze. You may be loosing coolant throught a leaking radiator. Some Barr's leaks sorted mine out about 18 months ago, Hope this helps Neil

Reply to
Neil D