406 diesel turbo ignition problems

Hi, Apologise for re-posting this, but I didn't get any response first time round?

I've just returned from a trip tp South of France, and since I've got back I've noticed a problem with the glow plug light taking longer than usual to go out when I start up and engine takes a while to "catch" on cold start, and the exhaust blows out a plume of black smoke on ignition. The glow plugs were replaced a couple of months ago and everything was going fine before the trip (although I did notice the black exhaust in France after the journey down). Has anyone got any idea what the problem might be?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Paul

Reply to
Mando

First of all, make sure all the glowplugs are actually working. Did you fit Peugeot ones? Then disconnect the feed wire to the plugs and see if the time on is the same. You may need a new control box (adjacent to the battery).

Reply to
nigel

Check with a bulb that there is a voltage at each of the glow plugs when they are heating. This should be present for about 20 secs after the ignition is turned to start the car. This will prove the glow plug relay and the connecting wiring to the plugs. Make you contact on the thread of the plug not the wiring spade terminal to eliminate dirty contacts here. Each glow plug should draw 12 amps aprox when working. With a clip on ammeter you can look for 48 amps when starting. This will prove the glow plugs. If you dont have a clip on meter disconnect the lead to the glow plugs and place an in line ammeter here again you should be measuring about 48 amps.

Reply to
Michael Roche

Mando It may also be worth checking the battery voltage when using the glow plugs and cranking the engine. My 406 1.9 TD had a sudden battery failure today when it went down to 10 V it has been producing some black smoke at start-up this week for the first time. Mike

Reply to
Michael Roche